Lower Your Taxes Or Increase Your Refund

Did you know you may be eligible for tax benefits to help pay for your child's education and care by reducing the income taxes you pay or increasing your tax refund?

A tax credit is even more valuable to families than a tax deduction. A tax credit is a dollar-for-dollar reduction in taxes owed. Some credits are refundable - taxes can be reduced to the point that a taxpayer receives a refund instead of paying taxes.

Under current federal law eligible families can claim tax credits up to:

  • $2,100 from the federal Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit(up to $1,050 for each of your first two children; the exact amount depends on your income and actual child care expenses)
  • $1,000 per child from the federal Child Tax Credit; and
  • $4,824 from the federal Earned Income Tax Credit.

Many states provide tax credits in addition to the federal tax credits. 

Detailed information on federal tax credits for parents is available from:

The Internal Revenue Service
Call (800) TAX-1040 or (800) 829-1040 or visit:

The Internal Revenue Service
Call (800) TAX-1040 or (800) 829-1040 or visit: 

Tax Information for Parents:

Child and Dependent Care Tax Credit:

Child Tax Credit:

Earned Income Tax Credit: